Sunday, April 22, 2007

Eugene - Go Ducks!





A couple of weeks ago I had the delightful opportunity of taking ten Aloha High School students to a Model United Nations conference in Eugene, Oregon. I want to point out that the U of O is thought of as the Chico State of Oregon.
The campus is beautiful. It is a blend of old and new. Some of the buildings - Gerling Hall - reminded me of an old Enlish lodge where men with big cigars would be sipping cognac. There are miles of bike trails along the Willamette river with sports venues everywhere. I was amazed at the amount of money and prestige that sports brings to a school (remember I went to Sacramento State). This is the alma mater of Bill Bowerman, Steve Prefontaine and, of course, Phil Knight.
The city of Eugene has a vital downtown on the opposite side of the campus. It has wine bars, bookstores, independent clothing stores, etc. I also found Steelhead Brewery (there is one in Irvine if your interested els) and brought a little treat back for the cow. He loves beer so I picked out the hoppiest one they had and he loved it.

4 comments:

El Serracho! said...

hey, i'd love to take you to the steelhead here. it's on the UCI campus, i'm sure that since you've been to the one in Eugene it would be a study in contrast.

El Serracho! said...

PS last time we went there, the GOS wouldn't eat because we had just seen "Fast Food Nation." icky.

Unknown said...

What happened to your motto of Hell no!! you actually took these kids overnight??? I am impressed.

sinisterhaley said...

Not just overnight - but 2-nights and on a Friday when all the frat keg parties are happening.
Bed check midnight - counted to make sure all young people were present and off to the bar I went.