Tuesday, June 19, 2007

School's out for SUMMER!





As many of you know, I have not been fully satisfied with my current teaching position at Aloha High School. Right now, on this final day of the year I am very excited. Let me give you some background so you can feel my grief.
1. AHS was built in the late 60's. The architect believed it to be an energy saving mechanism to abstain from WINDOWS. That's right - 90% of the classrooms have absolutely NO window.
2. Fake walls- Said architect also believed it to be a good idea to have classrooms hold up to 90 students (have you every seen a pack of high school thugs walking down the street - do you want 90 kids in the same location? EVER?) The answer to making the classrooms smaller were fake walls. Yes sirree. Those accordion crap walls that allows you to push them back like in a bad dance hall. This makes instruction very interesting when you have teachers/students on opposite fake walls that can't control their volume.
3. The office in which I am to do the majority of my work is filled with 12 desks. Put 12 Social Studies teachers in a room and very little work is getting accomplished. Also, I should add that these people are quite messy. Stacks of books from the 1960's still line the walls.
I just want to say HAPPY SUMMER to all of you who have listened to my grief throughout the year. I will be a much happier person and a better blogger in the months to come.

No comments: