Thursday, July 26, 2007

My 41st - Birthday Dinner




I seemed to have confused some of you with my prior e-mail regarding my birthday. I do not want, in any way, to misrepresent my age. Therefore, I need to let you know that I turned 41. Some of you thought that I was turning 40- but I made that leap last year.
My 41st birthday dinner was fabulous. The cow and I arrived at Samara, a beach town on the Nicoya Peninsula, in the afternoon. We sat at bar on the beach and had drinks. We stayed at a property called Villa Kalimba which was right across the street from the beach. The owner was Italian, Roberto, and cooked and served dinner at his outside kitchen patio a couple of times a week. We were lucky enough that he was preparing a seafood grill the night of my birthday.
We started with a lovely bottle of Pinot Grigio. The appitezers were four types of bruschetta: smoked tuna, traditional, sundried tomato and shrimp with a nice piece of grilled eggplant in the center. Secondo, was a calamari salad that was delicious, light and fresh. Primo piatti was grilled everything - one plate was all vegetables: tomato, eggplant, peppers, squash and onions, the second plate was all seafood: lobster, marlin and tuna. Everything was grilled to perfection.
Dolce was lovely. The cow was excited because Ricardo had quite the selection of grappa's. I enjoyed a wonderfully chilled glass of limoncello to go with our carrot cake.
We dined alfresco with absolutely beautiful weather.

No comments: