Friday, July 22, 2005

Walking by the river







Bright, sunny, and warm morning yesterday so I strapped on my tennis shoes and headed down to the river front park to enjoy the sunshine. All I have to do is walk out the front door of the building cross two streets and I am at the river. When I started to cross Naito (major street that runs along the river front) I noticed a little old man about 5 ft tall standing on the other side looking at a map. I thought if I am a true Portlander I would help him out. He had a newspaper article in his had and a map and wanted to know where the smokestacks were. The picture we were looking at from the paper indicated that we were in the correct spot but for the life of me I did not know what he was saying after he said smokestack-he mumbled. After talking to him he revealed that he has been alone for over 15 years, he had polio as a child, he can't hear very well in one ear, he is afraid of heights and of swimming. We walked around the USS Oregons smokestacks which were strapped to a flat bed truck and the huge anchor which was taller than me and probably weighed a little bit more than me. Once Richard Olson was satisfied that he found what he was looking for he ask if I would come to his house/apartment and meet some of his friends; he also wanted some help back to Broadway because he wasn't quite sure how he got to the corner of Naito and 12th. I walked and talked with Richard for almost an hour and he seemed completely engaged. He gave me his address and a phone number for his building so I could come by and have juice with him and meet his friends.
After my power-walk on the riverfront I noticed all of the wild blackberries growing along the river. I decided that a berry picked by your own hands must taste better and man oh man was I ever right. Picked a bowl full of berries (without a scratch) and bought some creme fraiche mixed in a little honey and moscato and WOW!

1 comment:

El Serracho! said...

ooohhhh SH has a boyfriend!