Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Outside Art
























Portand believes that art should be outdoors as well as indoors. Portland also believes in exposing themselves to art. I have actually walked by the famous statue in the "expose yourself to art" poster without noticing it. One time, I jumped off a bus and started walking in the opposite direction. The next time, I had an umbrella and a hat pulled down over my head but the third time the cow pointed it out and it was a calm Saturday morning so I was able to snap a picture.
I love the statue of the Umbrella Man. The correct name of the statue is "allow me." It is a bronze statue, depicting a cheerful and friendly Portlander leaning forward to offer his umbrella. Tourists get their picture taken standing under his umbrella, campaign volunteers stick political stickers on his breast after rallies, and citizens of all types meet at his side. I snapped the above photo after watching the girl who was utterly oblivious to the statue behind her.
Portlandia is HUGE. She is located atop the entrance of the Michael Graves designed building, aptly named the Portland Building, this girl is a monster. At first glance it reminds me of Prometheus, Zeus, you know that mythological guy with the large staff in his hand and crazy hair. Portlandia is a copper statue made by Ramond Kasky. She kneels over the entrance to The Portland Building and is second only in size to the Statue of Liberty in the US.

1 comment:

El Serracho! said...

it's nice to see that the building behind the naked chick got a new awning.